It’s almost time for the big game! The Super Bowl takes place this Sunday, Feb. 11th, at 6:30 p.m., which means many families will be prepping their meals and homes for visitors over the weekend. From buffalo chicken dip and wings to hamburgers, hot dogs and nachos, Super Bowl Sunday often features many delicious party foods and tasty treats. Why not mix it up this year and add a little local flare to your Super Bowl table? We partnered with the N.C. Pork Council to develop a nacho recipe with a twist: Pork Skins! Enjoy a variety of local ingredients with this delicious recipe like pork, beans, olives, cheese, peppers and more, while you cheer on the Kansas City Chiefs or the San Francisco 49ers.
We used Carolina Country Snacks Pork Rinds as the “nacho chip” base for this recipe. The original flavor is often the best to use when attempting to satisfy a variety of taste buds, but Carolina Country Snacks also makes a Hot BBQ flavor and a Sweet Mild BBQ Flavor. No matter what type of pork rinds you use, try to keep them local to support farmers and agribusinesses in your area. Stock up on all other ingredients at a market or grocery store near you today and get cooking!
Recipe: Pork Skin Nachos
- 4 Bags of Carolina Country Snacks Pork Rinds
- 1 Pork Shoulder (4 lbs.)
- Meat rub of choice (we used the State Fair Rub)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3 jalapeño peppers
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes or 1 can of Pico de Gallo
- 1 can of black olives
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 can of sour cream
- 1 bag of shredded cheese (can substitute queso if preferred)
- A few sprigs of cilantro
- Other necessary items: Oven and Instant Pot
- Set Instant Pot on Sear function and let it heat up.
- Cut Pork Shoulder into 4-5 chunks, season with preferred meat rub, and place into the Instant Pot.
- Allow pork shoulder to sear until all sides are light brown.
- Once all sides of the pork shoulder are seared, pour one cup of beef broth over the pork and set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
- While the pork is cooking, prepare all toppings of choice for the nachos (ie: cut the peppers/onions, drain black beans, measure out sour cream, heat queso, make guacamole, etc.).
- Pour 3-4 bags of pork skins on an rectangular sheet pan (we recommend lining the pan with aluminum foil to lessen clean up on the backend).
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Once the pork is done cooking, pull each piece apart by shredding it with two forks and place it on top of the pork skins.
- Add shredded cheese to the top of the nachos and pork (if using queso, skip this step and add it onto the nachos after heating them in the oven).
- Place pork skins with shredded pork and cheese in the oven for 1 minute.
- Remove pork skins from the oven and add desired toppings.
- Enjoy while cheering on your Super Bowl team!