Shoppers looking for locally made and locally sourced gifts or fun, on-farm experiences can find plenty of ideas at North Carolina farms and agritourism venues.
Summary of Talking Points:
- With the holidays fast approaching, shopping is likely on a lot of people’s minds.
- Many North Carolina farms and agritourism venues offer great locally made or sourced gifts, food and beverage products or on-farm experiences if you are stumped for ideas.
- You can find items in person at these farms, but some will ship or they offer gift certificates that can be used later.
- I think the idea of local Christmas gifts is great, because it is also a way to support farmers and agribusinesses at the same time.
- Shopping local also means you can give unique gifts.
- Among gift ideas are handmade hats and scarves from local natural fibers, soaps, lotions, yarn, honey, candles, toys,
- North Carolina wines, cheeses, meats, nuts, candy and snacks also make great gift ideas.
- With on-farm experiences it seems there is no limit to the creativity when it comes to fun activities.
- Ideas include gift certificates for special workshops, farm-to-table dinners, farm tours, wine tastings and winery tours.
- One farm even offers a day of activities themed around the popular television show Yellowstone that includes horseback riding, archery, fly fishing and an overnight stay in an onsite cottage.
- Over the past year, our social media team has highlighted 48 farms offering a variety of agritourism experiences. I’d encourage you to look back at those features for ideas.
- On our In the Field blog, we have put together a partial list of local shopping opportunities and experiences. I hope you will check out the blog and articles.
- On our Marketing Division webpage, you can find links for specialty foods, agritourism venues, Got to Be NC products, wineries and other North Carolina farms.
- You can also head out to one of four state-operated farmers markets in Asheville, Charlotte, Colfax and Raleigh for plenty of local shopping options, too. There’s a link to the farmers markets and ag centers on the Marketing Division page as well.
- Our agribusinesses and farms have great products Grown, Raised, Caught and Made in North Carolina. Check some of them out this holiday season.
For more local gift guides check out the following blogs:
1. Give the Gift of Experience: https://blog.ncagr.gov/2023/12/04/give-the-gift-of-experience/
2. Unique holiday gifts from NC Agriculture: https://blog.ncagr.gov/2023/11/29/unique-holiday-gifts-from-nc-agriculture/