Summary: People are sometimes surprised to learn about all the different types of jobs we have at the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, especially in fields they may not associate with agriculture. We have a number of job openings currently and we’re always looking for talented people to join the agriculture family.
Today’s Topic with Southern Farm Network’s Mike Davis
- Hiring workers continues to be challenging, which your listeners have probably noticed when they go out to eat or shop at a store.
- It seems like help wanted signs are posted just about everywhere, including state government.
- At the department, we have a number of open positions in areas that people may not traditionally think of as being related to agriculture.
- People are always a little surprised we have so many career opportunities for scientific and lab positions.
We were fortunate to obtain funding to build a state-of-the-art Agricultural Sciences Center in Raleigh where we conduct important tests focused on food safety, animal health and the effectiveness of oil and fuel products.
- We also have an agronomic services lab that processes soil and nematode samples and conducts waste analysis.
- Some of our recent science-focused job postings include a veterinarian, vet tech pathologist, chemistry technician and medical laboratory assistant.
- We also have airplane and helicopter pilots, aircraft mechanics, forest equipment operators and county rangers through the Forest Service.
- There are also jobs for accounting technicians, pesticide inspectors and engineers.
- If computers are more your thing, we have information technology positions and even temporary seasonal positions working at the N.C. State Fair and the Mountain State Fair.
- I am proud of the work we do at the department to protect consumers and to promote agriculture and farmers.
- We have a lot of career employees in the department who are passionate about agriculture. Many people describe the department as a family, and I think that is true.
- If you or someone you know are looking for a job where you know you can help others, I hope you will consider a career in the department or state government.
- You can find departmental job listings on our website at www.ncagr.gov under our Human Resources Division link. Check back often as new job openings are posted regularly