Summary: N.C. State Fair Youth Scholarship recipients are announced, with 31 students from across the state receiving Scholarships.
Today’s Topic with Southern Farm Network’s Mike Davis
- We talk about the N.C. State Fair a lot each year on this program, but one of the programs I am most proud of is the State Fair Youth Scholarship program.
- Any youth who participated in a junior market livestock or turkey show at the N.C. State Fair is eligible to apply for the scholarship to assist with education costs at a university or community college.
- The scholarships are funded from a percentage of the total sales at the N.C. State Fair Sale of Champions.
- The number of scholarships awarded each year is based on qualified applicants and funds available from the previous year’s Sale of Champions.
- This year because of strong support during the 2022 sale, 30 scholarships valued at $2,000 each were awarded.
- One $2,500 scholarship, which was sponsored by Farm Credit Associations of North Carolina, was also awarded.
- Scholarships went to students from 23 North Carolina counties from Buncombe in the west to Hyde in the east.
- It is always interesting to see where students are attending school. A majority are attending N.C. State University – my alma mater, along with other in-state schools such as UNC-Greensboro, AB Tech Community College, University of Mount Olive, Lees-McRae College, and Appalachian State University.
- There are even a few students attending Oklahoma State University and one at Clemson University.
- I am proud of all the students who received scholarships this year, and I hope many others will be able to earn scholarships in the future through the continued support of buyers and sponsors.
- We recognized some of these students last weekend at the Got to Be NC Festival.
- I achese young people represent the future of North Carolina agriculture, and I know that future is bright.