Summary: High school seniors and college students who participated in N.C. State Fair junior livestock competitions are eligible to apply for N.C. State Fair Junior Livestock Scholarships for higher education costs. The deadline to apply is March 1.
Today’s Topic with Southern Farm Network’s Mike Davis
- Paying for college can be challenging especially with the rising costs on everyday expenses, but scholarships awarded through our N.C. State Fair Junior Livestock Scholarship program have helped many families with some of those expenses.
- The application period for this year’s program is open now with a March 1 deadline.
- Up to 25 $2,000 scholarships are available, in addition to one $2,500 Farm Credit of N.C. Premier Scholarship.
- All youth who exhibited a livestock animal at the State Fair are eligible regardless of species, class or show placement.
- Scholarships are good for institutes of higher learning, including community colleges and technical schools. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 9 course hours.
- High school seniors and college students will need to submit the completed application, including their State Fair junior livestock experience, a 500-word essay, academic achievements and extracurricular activities they are involved in. Youth are eligible to receive the scholarship a maximum of four times.
- Applications can be downloaded at www.ncstatefair.org. Completed application packets should be returned to N.C. State Fair, Attn. Livestock Office, 1010 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1010. For questions, contact Neil Bowman by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The scholarship money is raised through the State Fair’s annual Sale of Champions where grand and reserve grand champions, along with champion Got to Be NC animals are sold at auction. A percentage of the sale total goes into this youth livestock scholarship program.
- Since the program started in 2015, we have awarded around $350,000 in scholarships, which is a tremendous investment in young people.
- I am incredibly proud of this program and would like to thank all the buyers who helped make this program a success.