Summary: North Carolina is home to many locally made products that participate in our Got to Be NC Marketing program. How to find them where you shop and online.
Today’s Topic with Southern Farm Network’s Mike Davis
- Dec. 27 is National Fruitcake Day. I mention that because North Carolina’s own Southern Supreme Fruitcake has been making and selling its special nutty fruitcake for over 30 years from its 40,000-square-foot facility in Bear Creek.
- Southern Supreme Fruitcake is one of the 2,160 members in our Got to Be NC marketing program that works to raise awareness and opportunities for North Carolina food companies.
- Members of the program can use the green and yellow or green and white, state-shaped Got to Be NC logo on their products and marketing materials to identify that they are a North Carolina product.
- The logo is designed to help shoppers easily identify NC products where ever they shop.
- In some grocery stores, you can find stand-alone North Carolina products clustered together. Other stores may have a special section on an aisle and some just mix the local products in with similar products.
- You can also find member products at farmers markets and roadside stands, online and at special events like the Got to Be NC Festival May 19-21 and at the State Fair in the Got to Be NC Pavilion.
- I am proud of the many different products made in North Carolina.
- We have a lots of barbecue sauces in the program, which makes sense when you think about how popular BBQ is in North Carolina.
- No doubt the right sauce makes the BBQ come alive.
- But you can also find cheeses, condiments, beverages, dips, salsas, pickles, meats, seafood, vegetables, fruits, nuts, chips, wines, beer, specialty products and many more.
- I always encourage folks to shop local because the money you spend with North Carolina producers stays in the state and recirculates through the community.
- You can find locally made products on our website at www.gottobenc.com. Click on the link for products.
- Also, if someone has a food product idea they are interested in making into a business, they can contact our Marketing Division at 919-707-3100 to learn more about the process.