The application period is open for seafood processors, dealers and processing vessels to apply for COVID relief funds to partially reimburse expenses associated with the pandemic. The deadline to apply is Nov. 30. NCDA&CS is administering the grant program that is funded by USDA.
Today’s Topic with Southern Farm Network’s Mike Davis
- This past week we announced a new grant program for eligible seafood processors, dealers and processing vessels for partial reimbursement for COVID-related expenses.
- The department received over $279,000 in relief funds from the USDA’s Seafood Processors Pandemic Response and Safety Block Grant program and we will be administering the program.
- Eligible expenses must have been incurred from Jan. 27, 2020 to Dec. 31, 2021.
- They can include such things as workplace safety measures, market pivots, retrofitting facilities, transportation, worker housing and medical expenses.
- The deadline to apply is Nov. 30, but I would certainly encourage seafood processors to apply early and not wait.
- We have overseen a similar program in the past for farmers markets that addressed some of the measures that farmers markets implemented during the pandemic.
- I know seafood processors can benefit from this program, so I encourage them to look back at their expenses during that time period.
- We have an initial self-certification application that seafood processors will need to fill out. You can find it online at www.ncagr.gov under the Quick Links column. It is the second listing labeled “Seafood processors grant.”