We can never celebrate our farmers enough for the hard work they do to grow the food, fiber and fuel we rely on every day. To help showcase these hardworking families, the popular Farm Family of the Day program returns to the State Fair to highlight and recognize one farm family each day of the fair and share their story. Applications and nominations are being accepted through Sept. 16.
Today’s Topic with Southern Farm Network’s Mike Davis
- I’m going to go ahead and warn listeners that I am probably going to be talking about fairs a lot in the next month or so.
- The department puts on two fairs in the fall – the N.C. Mountain State Fair Sept. 9-18 in Fletcher and the State Fair in Raleigh Oct. 13-23.
- It takes a tremendous amount of effort and work to put these signature events on, but its all worth it when you open the gates and see how excited people are to be back.
- These fall traditions celebrate the best of North Carolina and showcase our dynamic agriculture industry.
- Yes, you will see rides and games and some very interesting foods, but you cannot miss the livestock, the horticultural crops, bees, flowers, forestry exhibits and locally made products that all contribute to our state’s leading $92.9 billion agriculture and agribusiness industry.
- Helping the public learn more about agriculture and its many contributions is a primary goal of the fair and it’s especially important since many people today are several generations removed from the farm and do not understand the connection between farms and food.
- Last year at the State Fair we rolled out the Farm Family of the Day program to bring even more attention to agriculture and the farmers behind the food, fiber and fuel we all rely on.
- I’m proud of everything we do at the State Fair, but it was especially satisfying to be able to celebrate 11 families and highlight their farms during the fair.
- Thanks to Tractor Supply Company for sponsoring the program again. We are currently looking for nominations and applications of farm families. You have until Sept. 16 to submit a farm family name and we hope to receive a lot of nominations.
- The 11 families selected will receive a State Fair prize packet with tickets to the fair that they can use any day of their choosing.
- To learn more about the program or to nominate a farm family, go to ncstatefair.org and click on the Farm Family of the Day presented by Tractor Supply Company link.
- Be sure to buy your tickets to the fairs early to save time and money. I hope to see you at the Mountain State Fair and N.C. State Fair.