The North Carolina Forest Service is now taking orders for seedlings as part of its annual Nursery and Tree Improvement Program sale. Landowners can buy in quantities as small as 10 or in bigger bulk orders of 100 seedlings or greater. This sale provides landowners access to high quality understory plants and nearly 50 native tree species.
- The North Carolina Forest Service has begun taking orders for tree seedlings in small quantities or bulk through its Nursery and Tree Improvement Program.
- This is an annual sale and it’s a program I am extremely proud of.
- With so much focus and talk about environmental stewardship and renewable and sustainable agriculture these days, our state is fortunate to benefit from vast areas of forest and woodlands – the majority of which are privately owned.
- This seedling program offers landowners access to high quality understory plants and native tree species as they look to reseed or develop a renewable timber crop on their land.
- These seedlings offer better volume growth, form, disease resistance, straightness, and other characteristics needed to produce quality forest products.
- The Nursery and Tree Improvement Program produces enough native and genetically improved tree seedlings to plant around 30,000 acres of land each year.
- I certainly encouraged landowners to make use of this program if they are looking to plant trees, no matter how big or small of a project they are planning.
- They will find conifers and hardwoods available in units as low as 10 and as high as For those wishing to submit larger orders, the nursery sells tree seedlings by the hundreds and thousands.
- We have Momi fir, Eastern red cedar and Virginia pine available this year, in addition to genetically improved stock of loblolly, longleaf, shortleaf and white pines as well as other species.
- I’d point you to the N.C. Forest Service catalog for a complete species
- There are a number of ways to order.
- By going online to the seedling store at buynctrees.com or by phone at 1-888-NCTREES (1-888-628-7337).
- Tree seedlings can be ordered using the order form found in the current user friendly catalog available at the “Tree Seedlings & Nursery Program” link at ncforestservice.gov.
- Catalogs are also available at local NCFS offices.
- Landowners can find everything they need in terms of types of tree species, quantities and cost to order. The catalog includes information about ideal planting locations and whether a species is typically used to benefit wildlife, restore habitats or as marketable timber.
- Checks, money order, Mastercard and Visa are accepted as payment.
- We are taking orders now, but the distribution of tree seedlings will occur December through mid-April, depending on weather conditions.
- Orders can be shipped to one of 13 distribution centers statewide for a small fee or via UPS for a charge. Seedling orders are also available for pickup from the Claridge Nursery in Goldsboro or the Linville River Nursery near Crossnore.