With the arrival of spring and warmer weather, strawberry farms are opening for shoppers and, undoubtedly, strawberry lovers are ready for local berries.
“Growers have done a good job protecting the crop from recent cool temperatures and because of their hard work, this year’s strawberry crop looks to be plentiful,” said Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler.
Strawberry season typically runs from mid-April through May.
For fun family or group outings, go to the N.C. Strawberry Association’s listing at http://www.ncstrawberry.com/farm-locator .ncstrawberry.com/farm-locator to find a local you-pick strawberry farm and contact information.
Visitors can also download the Visit NC Farm App to find strawberry farms close to them using their mobile phone. Find several of the strawberry farms across the state listed below. Be sure to check with the farm to verify times and availability before you go.
- Purchase strawberries at the retail stand at McConnell Farms of Hendersonville. Visit for fresh produce, ice cream made at the farm, a bakery and retail nursery.
- Obermiller’s Strawberry Farm of Hendersonville will be open for pick-your-own strawberries this spring. Monday and Tuesday 4 – 6:30 p.m. or Thursday and Saturday 8:30 a.m. – noon.
- WishStix Farm of Weaverville will have freshly picked strawberries at their farm stand.
- Gross Farms Produce Barn of Sanford will be open mid-late April through early June for Strawberry (We-Pick or Pick-Your-Own).
- Carrigan Farms of Mooresville will be open from late April through late May for strawberry picking. Open daily from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Manuel Farms of Walnut Cove will have strawberries and other fresh produce at their farm stand. This is their second year growing strawberries.
- Highlanders Farm of Carthage will open their farm stand in mid-April with pre-picked and pick your own strawberries and homemade ice cream. Call 910-947-5831 for recorded picking schedules.
- Robertson Family Farm of King will have pick-your-own strawberries as well as pre-picked at their stand. Check out their website for more information about their Mother’s Day event on May 7th.
- Linebergers Maple Springs Farm of Dallas will be open this spring with pick your own strawberries, their farm stand and activities for kids. Also look for their strawberries at several farmers markets in the Piedmont area.
- Canady Farm of Hope Mills is is open for the season. The farm only sells what they grow on farm, including strawberries and other produce.
- Look for Seal the Seasons frozen strawberries in the frozen section of Harris Teeter, Lowes Foods, Whole Foods, Food Lion, and Ingles. They are a B-Certified frozen food brand that seeks to support local family farms across the Carolinas by sourcing local fruits and veggies, freezing them at peak freshness, and then selling them locally in the frozen section of grocery stores.
- Patterson Farm Inc of China Grove will have pre-picked strawberries available at their Market on Caldwell Road, as well as at satellite stands in Concord at Mr. C’s and in Salisbury on W Innes Street. Pick- your-own strawberries and spring activities will be by reservation only with tickets available on their website.
- Country Road Strawberries of Pinnacle will be open early May with fresh quality sweet berries picked the day of selling only.
- Double R Cattle Services, Inc of Hillsborough will be open for pre-picked and U-Pick strawberries during the month of May! The farm also has grass-fed beef and pastured pork available at the sales shed during strawberry hours.
- Porter Farms & Nursery of Willow Spring will have pre-picked and pick-your-own strawberries as well as homemade ice cream at their farm stand!
- Ingram’s Family Farm of High Point will open for pick your own strawberries from May – early June! Their farm stand will be open, as well as an animal visiting area and dessert barn with homemade sweets and ice cream.
- DJ’s Berry Patch of Apex will have pick your own strawberries, local honey from the farm, and homemade ice cream.
- Bernies Berries and Produce of Greensboro will open mid-April. They have pick-your-own strawberries available and pre-picked strawberries at their farm stand. Find them at farmers markets around the Greensboro area, too.
- Bear Ridge Farms of Maple Hill will have their U-Pick strawberry fields open in April! Their country store is now open with fresh vegetables, meats, eggs, bread and ice cream. They offer farm tours by reservation only.
- Grab some pre-picked strawberries at their farm stand, or pick your own strawberries at BGF Produce of Belhaven. Check their social media for the exact opening date.
- White’s Farm of Vanceboro will be open this spring with gem mining, jump pillow, homemade ice cream shop and pick-your-own berries.
- WDW Strawberry Farm & Roadside Stand of Princeton will offer u-pick or we-pick strawberries at their stand! They are also booking daycares & other groups for educational strawberry tours.
- Carol Sue Blueberry Farm of Hampstead will be open for pick your own strawberries this spring.
- Strawberries on 903 of South Winterville will have their farm stand open Monday through Saturday with pick-your-own and pre-picked strawberries.
- Smith’s Nursery will have pick-your-own and pre-picked strawberries. They are open seven days a week, and have a wonderful garden center with lots of items perfect for gifts or just your gardening needs. They also have a wonderful ice cream and coffee shack where you can find lots of yummy treats.
- Get your strawberries at Deans Farm Market of Wilson. They also offer strawberry field trips, and have full-time kitchen chefs that create dishes to take home with many of their farm ingredients.
- Garner Farms Inc of Newport will have strawberries at their stand as well as u-pick strawberry fields when weather permits. While you’re there, check out their produce stand with farm grown products!
- Eddie’s Produce/E.R. Hester Farms of Bladenboro will open their farm stand in the spring with strawberries and other fresh produce.
- Carolina Country Fresh of Bethel will be open in April with pick-your- own and pre-picked strawberries. They also carry other produce, jams and jellies, freshly baked goods, hoop cheese and more!
- The Strawberry Patch at Fisher Farms of Whitakers anticipates to open in mid-April! They will have pick your own and pre-picked strawberries, ice cream and homemade strawberry smoothies.
- Get your strawberries from J & L Produce/Worley Family Farms at their produce barn in Princeton, The Town Market in Pine Level and Piggly Wiggly in Princeton. Shop local vendors in their Produce Barn and during the season, you can pick-your-own strawberries and find beautiful flowers in their greenhouse!.
- Cottle Farms Inc of Goldsboro will have pick your own strawberries at their u-pick location, and will sell their berries at strawberry satellite stands. Visit their website for a map of all stand locations.