Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler sits down each week with Southern Farm Network’s Mike Davis to discuss “Today’s Topic.”
Each day of the N.C. State Fair, the fair will recognize one farm family as its Farm Family of the Day presented by Tractor Supply Co. Families chosen will be given tickets to the fair to come on the day of their choosing, and they will be recognized during the day through PA announcements and signs on the grounds. Nominations are still being accepted, so if you know a farm family that you think should be recognized, please consider nominating them.
- Some people wonder why the N.C. Department of Agriculture puts on the annual State Fair and the answer really dates back to the beginning of the fair in 1853.
- The first fair was held by the N.C. Agricultural Society as a way to educate farmers about new production practices and techniques.
- A little-known fact is that Edith Vanderbilt, of the Biltmore House Vanderbilts, served on the Agricultural Society at the beginning.
- The fair in that day didn’t look anything like it does today; early fairs did not have amusement rides or games. And where the early fair sought to educate farmers, today our focus is on educating consumers about our state’s No. 1 industry – agriculture and agribusiness.
- Today, visitors will find livestock shows, the Got to Be NC exhibit showcasing North Carolina agricultural products, forestry displays, Heritage Circle and the tobacco barn, horse shows and horticultural and cooking competitions.
- These exhibits are designed to help people better understand the contributions of agriculture – both as a supplier of our food and as an economic contributor.
- This year, we are excited to add another example of North Carolina agriculture by highlighting a Farm Family of the Day each day of the fair.
- Today, one of agriculture’s biggest challenges is helping people make the connection between farming and the food they enjoy. Farm families tell that story the best because they are out there every day working hard to grow the food, fiber and fuel we need.
- Tractor Supply Co. is helping us honor these families and tell their stories as the title sponsor.
- We are still accepting nominations for Farm Family of the Day, so if you know a farm family that you think we should recognize, you can find an application online at the State Fair website, www.ncstatefair.org. The link to the application is under the Attractions heading. Farm families can nominate themselves as well, so don’t be shy.
- The family will receive tickets to the fair for the day of their choice and some other fun State Fair swag.
- We have already received a number of excellent nominees, but we will keep accepting applications through Sept. 15. So, let us know who has a good agricultural story to tell.
- The fair runs Oct. 14-24 and tickets are on sale online now at www.ncstatefair.org.
- And, I am going to say it again, people get your COVID vaccination so we bring these COVID numbers back down.