This year has been full of unprecedented times and situations. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many families and individuals will be cooking at home this holiday season. That’s why we are bringing the dishes to you all month long in our Quarantine Kitchen series. We talked to twenty-three chefs who willingly shared some of their favorite dishes to prepare for the holidays. Stay tuned Dec. 1 through 24 on the blog as well as our social media channels for a new dish to feature in your home each day and let’s get cooking!
Although many tables around the holidays focus on the main course of turkey or beef, the complimentary side dishes are just as important. Grinders and Gravy in Southern Pines has got the perfect addition to your table this year with a recipe for Roasted Winter Vegetables with Parmesan Crust from Owner and Chef Curt Shelvey. “I hope you and your family enjoy this Holiday dish! A lot of folks often do not think about root vegetables as a side dish with so many casserole recipes out there,” said Chef Curt, “however, my family and I enjoy this dish throughout the Holiday season because of it’s great taste, and more importantly, the fact that it supports our North Carolina Farmers!”
Growing up in New England and working in various Italian restaurants growing up, Chef Shelvey brings a variety of culinary influences to his dishes. Prior to owning and operating Grinders and Gravy, Chef Shelvey worked for ten years at Pinehurst Country Club as well as his family-owned Italian restaurant, Curt’s Cucina. When Curt and his family decided to take the business in a different direction, Grinders and Gravy was born. Bring a taste of his kitchen into your home with the recipe below and be sure to get the ingredients from your local farmers market, roadside stand or other retailer. Enjoy!
Roasted Winter Vegetables with Parmesan Crust
Yields: 8 portions
- 1/2 pound North Carolina sweet potatoes (peel & medium dice)
- 1/2 pound parsnips (peel & medium dice)
- 1/2 pound carrots (peeled & cut in 2 inch slices)
- 1/2 pound butternut squash (peel & medium dice)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (minced)
- 1 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add olive oil, garlic, oregano, parsley, salt & pepper.
- Mix well. Add vegetables and toss them well to coat.
- Pour into a roasting pan and cook for 25 to 35 minutes, turning occasionally to roast through.
- During the last 5 minutes of cooking, sprinkle Parmesan cheese evenly and heat enough to brown.
- Serve as a great side dish to beef, poultry or other game. Or serve as a great dish alone!