Dr. Karen Beck of Raleigh, an employee in the Emergency Programs Division, was recently selected as the NCDA&CS Employee of the Year for her exceptional performance and dedication to her work as a surveillance veterinarian. Karen was chosen from the 12 Employee of the Month selections from 2018.
As surveillance veterinarian for the Emergency Programs Division, Karen identifies, evaluates and prevents threats to the people, animals and agriculture of North Carolina. She also serves as a key decision maker on interagency response to zoonotic diseases and oversees the statewide permitting and inspection process for animal contact exhibits at sanctioned agricultural fairs.
“Her commitment and dedication to protecting the agriculture community is evident from her willingness to consistently go above and beyond what is required in her normal duties,” said John Howard, director of the Emergency Programs Division.
In addition to her extraordinary efforts, Karen also serves as a liaison to the State Emergency Response Team during activations of the State Emergency Operations Center and analyzes reports to identify hazards or impacts; makes decisions, as needed on appropriate course of action; and coordinates with appropriate divisions within our department and other state agencies for emergency response to animal and agricultural issues in the state.
During Hurricane Florence, Dr. Beck exceeded her responsibilities and made a statewide impact during the storm as a liaison to N.C. Emergency Management. Immediately following the storm, Karen further distinguished herself by providing excellent leadership and protecting public health at the N.C. State Fair.
Karen began her state career with NCDA&CS in 2007.
2018 NCDA&CS Employees of the Month
- January: Maegan Trimnal, Soil and Water Conservation Division
- February: Randy Renfrow, Standards Division
- March: James “Jimmy” Meadows, N.C. Forest Service
- April: Hannah Welch Thompson & Jeremy Callicutt, N.C. Forest Service
- May: Tien Cheng, Legal Affairs Division
- June: Jaime Frye, Structural Pest Control and Pesticides Division
- July: Terry Bell, Human Resources Division
- August: Walter Beal, Food Distribution Division
- September: Jonathan Young, N.C. Forest Service
- October: Jane Martin, N.C. Forest Service
- November: Dr. Karen Beck, Emergency Programs Division
- December: Laura Brookshire, Farmland Preservation Division