Eggnog is a seasonal treat that’s readily available at the grocery store this time of year. And whether you prefer you eggnog with a sprinkle of nutmeg, topped with whipped cream or even added to coffee, the taste and the smell just reminds you of this time of year. As a young girl, at Christmas parties we would make an eggnog punch that would have Sprite, vanilla ice cream and eggnog as it’s three ingredients- it was my favorite part of our Christmas gathering. This Local Dish recipe below is similar because like the punch, it contains ice cream, which makes it a hit with adults and kids alike. And, like the name implies, the drink contains eggs along with milk , cream and vanilla extract.
“Homemade eggnog for the holidays is something special and a great tradition,” said Local Dish’s Lisa Prince. She got this recipe from her best friend’s mom, Kay Powell, more than 20 years ago.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 gallon milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 3⁄4 gallon vanilla ice cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Separate eggs and temper yellows over a double boiler. (If you are not sure how to temper the eggs, check out the Local Dish video.) Then beat yellows with 1 cup sugar until combined. Then add in milk and half and half. Cut ice cream into the mixture. Beat egg whites with a few 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into egg nog and sprinkle with nutmeg.
Here’s one more adult-only eggnog recipe by Charlotte food blogger Heidi Billotto. This recipe incorporates products from craft distilleries in North Carolina. Check out Billotto’s blog for more recipes.
Heidi’s Holiday Eggnog
- 4 cups local or organic whole milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 dashes of Crude Bitters Big Bear ( Coffee & Cocoa) bitters
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 12 local or organic egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups organic sugar
- 2 1/2 cups Muddy River Queen Charlotte Rum or TOPO Whiskey or Oak City Amaretto, or Damn Fine Liqueurs Chocolate Liqueur; or for a non-alcoholic version of the same, use an equal amount of Pure Intentions Cold
- Brew, or brew your favorite Pure Intentions Coffee blend of beans, chill and then add to the eggnog
- 2 cups organic heavy cream
Combine milk, vanilla, cardamom and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes, just until warm. In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs to temper the eggs ( that is to slowly bring them up to the temperature of the milk). Pour the mixture back into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve. The recipe may be done up to this point up to a couple of days in advance. Stir in your local spirit of choice ( or coffee) and heavy cream. Garnish with a grind of fresh nutmeg.
And finally, if you are interested in the eggnog punch recipe, mix together 1 liter of Sprite, 2 quarts of eggnog and 3 cups of ice cream in a large punch bowl and serve.