Last month, a handful of N.C. food bloggers celebrated “Pork-tober,” also known as National Pork Month, by highlighting farmers, farmers markets and recipes featuring pork. The results? Delicious.
Our state ranks second nationally in pork production. Duplin, Sampson, Bladen and Wayne counties are our top hog-producing counties. Hogs accounted for almost $2.3 billion in cash receipts from farming in 2015.
Check out the diverse selection of pork recipes below.
- Mustard & Molasses Marinated NC Pork Chops with Sweet Potato Tater Tots from Heidi Billotto Food featuring pork from A Way of Life Farm (Charlotte Regional Farmers Market)
- Polish Sausage with Apples, Onions and Butternut Squash from Pastry Chef Online featuring pork from MAE Farm (State Farmers Market in Raleigh)
- North Carolina Pork & Five Pepper Stir-Fry from Life of a Ginger featuring pork from Rockin’ B Farms (Robert G. Shaw Piedmont Triad Farmers Market)
- Carolina Poutine with Pulled Pork from Triadfoodies featuring pork from Mill River Farm (Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Farmer’s Market)
- Tacos al Pastor from Hispanic Mama featuring pork from Bull City Farm (Durham Roots Farmers Market)