September is National Chicken Month. North Carolina ranks 3rd nationally in broilers, contributing nearly $3.5 billion of total farming cash receipts. According to the N.C. Poultry Federation, the poultry industry’s economic impact for NC is $36.6 billion. More than 5,700 farm families produce poultry and eggs in our state. Which is great news, considering the average person eats nearly 90 pounds of chicken each year.
Jenni Fields and a team of Got to Be NC bloggers rounded up five easy-to-make recipes featuring meat and produce from N.C. farmers markets. Check out the recipes, farms and farmers markets in the link below.
- Sheet Pan Chicken from Off the Eaten Path, featuring chicken from Windy Hill Farm in New London (Charlotte Regional Farmers Market)
- NC Farmer’s Market Feast from Nancie’s Table, featuring chicken from Oak Ridge Farm in Zebulon (NC State Farmer’s Market, Raleigh)
- North Carolina Seared Duck Breast from The World on a Table. This recipe features duck from Blue Whistler Farm in Bahama (Durham Roots Farmers Market)
- Farmer’s Market Chicken Salad from Adventures of Frugal Mom, made with chicken from Queen B Farms in Mebane (Piedmont Triad State Farmer’s Market, Winston-Salem)
- Crispy Roasted Chicken with Blueberry Gastrique from Nik Snacks featuring chicken from Grace Meadow Farm in Westfield (Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Farmers Market)