May is National and North Carolina Beef Month and a great time to find fresh N.C. beef from your local farmers market or grocery store. With more than 1,000 registered meat handlers in North Carolina, finding fresh and local meat is easier than ever. There are a variety of beef choices, including grass-fed, grain-fed, grass-finished and certified organic.
With the days longer and the weather warmer, it’s the perfect time to break out your grill and serve up some hamburgers. If you need some inspiration, check out the Got to Be N.C. Burger. Last year, Jenni Fields of Pastry Chef Online, with the help of our Marketing Division, created her version of an all-N.C. burger, which features about a dozen local ingredients. But with hundreds of products made in North Carolina, feel free to add your own flair to the recipe. For a complete recipe, visit her blog.
Earlier this year, Fields teamed up with other North Carolina bloggers to put together a round up of delicious recipes from a handful of our beef-producing farms.
- Beef Marsala Pot Pie | Baldwin Family Farms from Big Bear’s Wife
- Chile-Braised Short Rib Tacos | Moore Brothers All Natural Beef from Nourish and Nestle
- Simply Perfect Prime Rib Roast | Ninja Cow Farm from Life of a Ginger
- Shepherd’s Pie | Ray Family Farms from Girl Gone Gourmet
- Back to Earth Tacos | Back to Earth Farm from Jenn on a Mission
- Beef Lettuce Wraps | Hickory Nut Gap Farm from Pantry Doctor
- Bourbon Beef Chili | Newsome Farm from Nik Snacks
- Got To Be NC Beef Hearty Chili | Summerfield Farms from The Army Mom
- Sweet and Spicy Grass-Fed London Broil | Baldwin Family Farms from Pastry Chef Online
Also, if you are near the Charlotte area, the Charlotte Regional Farmers Market has two beef-related promotions planned this weekend. Saturday, May 6 the market with National and NC Beef Month by having livestock producers pass out free hamburger recipes. On Sunday, May 7 the Charlotte FM has planned Beef It Up. Chefs & livestock producers will be on site to demonstrate how to grill locally raised beef plus pass out free samples and recipes.