Twice a month we feature local restaurants, farms and farmers markets featured on episodes of UNC-TV’s Flavor, NC. This week, we review episode five of the first season in which hostess Lisa Prince highlights Sunburst Trout Farm in Haywood County.
North Carolina is home to more than 3,000 miles of trout streams. Many of these are found in Haywood County, home of Sunburst Trout Farm. Since 1948, this family-owned company has been one of the leading suppliers of farm-raised rainbow trout on the East Coast.
In this episode, Lisa shows viewers the process of harvesting and processing farm-raised rainbow trout. Charles Hudson, research and development chef for Sunburst Trout Farms, also shares three ways to cook trout and a few easy recipes to try at home.
Below is Chef Hudson’s recipe for Quick, Easy and Lusty Trout – one of his daughter’s favorite recipes.
- 4 Sunburst Trout Fillets
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 4 tablespoons Lusty Monk Mustard (or other whole grain mustard)
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- Place trout fillets on nonstick baking pan.
- Sprinkle trout fillets with lemon juice.
- Sprinkle trout fillets evenly with seasonings.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of mustard evenly on each trout fillet.
- Place under broiler for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serves 4.
Visit http://ncagr.gov/markets/aquaculture/ for more information about N.C. Aquaculture.