Headed to a Fourth of July get-together this weekend? Check out a few July Fourth-inspired and festive recipes made with fresh and local produce. More recipes, ideas and other Got to Be N.C.-inspired boards can be found on our Pinterest page www.pinterest.com/GottobeNC
2 1/4 cups frozen watermelon cubes
1/2+ cup water
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 large lemon, squeezed (lime juice also works very well! use 2 limes)
1 fresh banana
- Add all ingredients to the blender, blending. Add more water as needed to blend. Add as little liquid as possible to keep your frosty thick and “frosty!”
- Pour into glasses and garnish with frozen watermelon with the rind slices. Serve and enjoy. Try these versions for a little extra kick. Party version: add 2 shots of tequila, Spicy version: a few dashes of cayenne powder in the blender or over top when you serve.
Watermelon and blueberries are both in season and available at farmers markets and roadside stands across the state. The watermelon stars makes this recipe look time consuming but it’s actually pretty easy and perfect for dinner on a hot summer night. If you don’t have a star cookie cutter or don’t want to go to the effort of cutting out stars, you may cut your watermelon into 1-inch cubes instead.
- 4 ounces (about 1 cup) slivered almonds
- Small seedless watermelon
- 12 ounces mixed salad greens
- 12 ounces blueberries
- 8 ounces crumbled feta cheese
For Watermelon Vinaigrette:
- 1 cup watermelon cubes
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread slivered almonds on sheet pan and bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted, watching carefully to prevent burning. Allow to cool.
- Cut watermelon in half, and slice several 1/2-inch thick rounds. Use a small star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out as many watermelon stars as desired. Reserve watermelon scraps.
- Prepare Watermelon Vinaigrette by combining 1 cup leftover watermelon chunks, red wine vinegar, honey, lemon juice, garlic salt, and oil in a mini food processor or blender. Process/blend for 30 seconds, or until thoroughly combined. Transfer to a jar or bottle with a tight fitting lid and shake well before using.
- In a large bowl, layer mixed greens, blueberries, feta, almonds, and watermelon stars. Just before serving, dress with Watermelon Vinaigrette and gently toss until salad ingredients are evenly coated.