You know its July in North Carolina when peaches and watermelons pop up at farmers markets across the state. Today, the Piedmont Triad Farmers Market celebrated the season with Peach Day. Market visitors were able to sample local peaches, try some Howling Cow peach ice cream and meet N.C. Peach Queen Katie Parsons. The Charlotte Regional Farmers Market also hosted a commodity queen today. N.C. Watermelon Queen Alycia McLamb made an appearance and joined the festivities for Watermelon Day. There were plenty of free slices of N.C. watermelon and other activities for attendees to enjoy.
If you missed today’s events, don’t worry. There are more special activities coming in July and August.
For peach lovers:
- Thursday, July 14: Peach Day at the State Farmers Market
- Thursday, July 14: Peach Dessert Contest at the State Farmers Market
- Saturday, July 16: N.C. Peach Festival in Candor
- Saturday, July 23: Peach Day at the Southeastern N.C. Farmers Market
For watermelon lovers:
- Saturday, July 9: Watermelon Day at the Southeastern N.C. Farmers Market
- Friday, July 15: Watermelon Day at the WNC Farmers Market
- Saturday, July 23: N.C. Watermelon Festival Day in Fair Bluff
- Thursday, Aug. 4: Watermelon Day at the State Farmers Market
- Friday, Aug. 5: Watermelon Day at the Piedmont Triad Farmers Market
- Thursday-Saturday, Aug. 25-27: Winterville Watermelon Festival
If you want a really fresh peach or watermelon, consider going straight to the source. You can find peach and watermelon farms across the state by searching www.ncfarmfresh.com. The site also has a directory of farmers markets and roadside stands.